Deals of the Week for September 30, 2008
Ready for another week of BIG savings?
Starting at Walgreens, don't you need yet another free toothbrush? Of course you do! The Oral B Cross Action toothbrush is on sale for $4.49 with a $4.50 Register Reward. So, the toothbrush is already free... but with the 75 cent off coupon from the 9/28 PG insert, it's a moneymaker too!
Still at Walgreens, wouldn't you like to get a ten-dollar razor for 99 cents? Gillette Fusion razors are on sale for $8.99 (regularly $11.49.) There's a $4.00 off coupon in the 9/28 PG insert, and you'll get a $4.00 Register Reward when you buy it too. So you'll be getting this nice, fairly expensive razor... for 99 cents. That's better than going to the dollar store!
Note: Don't be tempted (as I was!) by the Gillette Fusion "gift pack" that contains the razor, shave gel and body wash... and is also on sale for $8.99 at Walgreens. It does NOT generate the Register Reward. I learned the hard way (and that's why I like to go to the store before I post these deals for you :)
EDIT: Updating to say that the "gift pack" with Tiger Woods on the package DOES work with the deal. The gift pack with a football on the front does NOT. People have been trying both, and I went back to try Tiger, and he worked :) So look for Tiger Woods if you want more freebies with your cheap razor!
Also, as an aside, CVS is running the same deal this week. The razor is $9.99 with a $5.00 Extra Care Buck. Use that $4.00 off coupon and pick it up for just 99 cents!
Here's a pretty good deal on haircare items... Walgreens has a Register Rewards deal where you can buy various brands of shampoos and haircolor. All are on sale for $5.99. Buy 2 and get $5 in Register Rewards, or buy 3 and get $8 in Register Rewards.
Coupons currently out for these:
Pantene: $2.00 off one (8/31 PG exp. 9/30)
Herbal Essences: $2.00 off one (9/7 RP)
Nice & Easy: $2.00 off one (8/31 PG exp. 9/30)
Natural Instincts: $2.00 off one (9/7 RP) or $1.00 off one (9/28 PG)
So, the math works like this, no matter how you mix and match:
3 products @ $5.99 = $17.97
Minus 3 $2.00 off coupons = $11.97
Minus $8 Register Reward = $3.97
That's less than one item's current sale price... for 3! You usually don't see haircolor this cheap.
Now, whenever these deals come up, people will email and ask whether they're better off buying 2 items for the $5 RR or 3 for the $8 RR. It depends what coupons you have and what you need. If you buy 3, you'll be paying $1.32 each. If you buy 2, you'll be paying $1.49 each... so it's up to you to determine whether you need 3 of these items to gain that 17-cent advantage..!
A bonus: If you buy 2 or more Natural Instincts, you will also receive a Catalina that you can mail in to receive a free subscription to Marie Claire magazine or a free cosmetics bag! Free bonuses are always fun!
Over to Jewel this week, how about some free or cheap Pert shampoo? Pert is on sale 2 for $5.00, or $2.50 each. There's a $2.00 off coupon in the 8/3 SS insert, so it will be just 50 cents. NOTE: This coupon expires 9/30 (which means you can use it right up until the end of the day on 9/30) so shop quickly if you'd like this deal.
Usually in our coupon classes, we teach that a name-brand product is almost always going to be cheaper than a store-brand product. But sometimes there are great coupons out for store-brand products too that make them worth checking out! Jewel's rolling out a new line of gourmet foods called Culinary Circle. They have all kinds of good stuff. So print two $1.00 off coupons here and check out some deals...
Water crackers (those fancy little round crackers you eat at parties) are on sale for $1.72 a box. With $1 off, those are some cheap crackers!
Or, go the route I did... Culinary Circle rising crust and ultra-thin crust frozen pizzas are on sale buy one get one free, $7.89. Use 2 coupons (a great couponers' trick -- since you're buying and paying tax on 2, you can use 2 coupons on a B1G1F sale -- even on the free item!) and pay just $5.89 for two gourmet frozen pizzas. That's less than $3.00 a pizza - a fantastic price for rising crust! They come in traditional flavors, as well as some similar to California Pizza Kitchen's gourmet types, like Margherita and barbecue chicken.
The great Glade moneymaker sale continues for one more week (read last week's deals for the scoop on how to get the store to pay you to take home Glade Plug-Ins!)
This week, Glade Wisp candles will be your moneymaking friend. The 9/7 SS insert has a $5.00 off Glade Wisp coupon. Glade's site has a Buy One, Get One Free coupon. Buy two of these candles, which are on sale for $6.99 each. With your two coupons, the first candle will cost you $1.99, and the second will be free... and the best part? Two $3.00 off Catalina coupons will print at checkout... and the store will have paid you $4.01 to take those Wisp candles home! You may want to print 2 of the B1G1F coupon, as some stores even have $5.00 off peelie coupons ON the Wisp candles. If you find one of those, and you have 2 B1G1F coupons, you can do this deal twice in the same transaction!
(A neat aside - the Glade Wisp are flameless candles. They run on a battery, making them not only safer than a regular candle, but a handy thing to have around in case of a power outage too.) Both the Glade Wisp and the Glade Plug-Ins deals run through Oct. 5th.
Now, put your thinking caps on! Here's a crazy sale at Jewel this week... Jewel is offering an instant $3 savings when you buy $10 of any of the items listed in Sunday's ad.
You can work this deal any way you like, buying just the items you need or want... and save BIG! Some of these are overage items that will bring your total savings down even more if you buy them (and by now you know you ALWAYS buy overage items, whether you need them or not, because they SAVE you money..!)
There are 4 groups of items in this deal - items priced at $10/10, $5/10, $4/10, and $3/10. There are many more products in the ad than I've listed here, but I've listed the things that there are currently coupons out for to bring your savings down even more. Remember, to get the after-savings prices, you MUST buy $10 worth of items at a time. But you can buy 10, 20, or 30, or 40 in the same transaction, and you'll automatically save $3 for every $10 you spend, no matter how you mix and match. (Last night, I saved $27 automatically during this deal!)
Ready? Here we go...
10/$10 - $3 instant savings for buying 10 = 10/$7 or $.70 each
- Campbell's Cream of Mushroom or Cream of Chicken Soups: 9/7 SS - 40 cents off 3 = $1.70 for 3 cans, or 57 cents a can. 9/14 SS has 30 cents off 3, and 9/21 SS has 40 cents off 2.
- Zatarains Rice: 9/7 R - 75 cents off 2 = $0.65 for 2 boxes, or 32.5 cents a box
- Daisy Sour Cream: 8/24 SS - 50 cents off one = $0.20 for 1 tub
- Homelife napkins: Many Jewel stores have had blue coupon dispensers in the paper aisles with $1.00 off coupons for Homelife paper products. If you can find these coupons (shown at right) the napkins will not only be free, but will have 30 cents overage too!
- Nursery Water: 55 cents off 2 (printable = $0.85 for 2 gallons, or 42.5 cents each when you buy 2
- Zone Perfect bars: $1 off (9/7 SS) - free after coupon, and 30 cents overage when bought in $10 increments
- Atkins Advantage Bars: $1 off (8/17 SS) - free after coupon, and 30 cents overage when bought in $10 increments
- Softsoap liquid soap pumps: $0.35 off (9/28 SS) = $0.35 each. Note: ONLY Juicy Melon and Lavender Chamomile scents work with this deal!
5/$10 - $3 instant savings = 5/$7 or $1.40 each
- Ronzoni Bistro Dinners: $1.00 off one (9/28 SS and printable) = $0.40 each
Note: I had a horrible time finding these in the store! They're new and nobody knew where they were. I finally found them near the Hamburger Helper, oddly.
- Smart Ones low tier meals or desserts: $1.00 off 5 (printable) = $1.20 each when you buy 5
- Birds Eye Blends or Steamfresh blends: $1.00 off 3 (9/7 SS and/or September All You Magazine) = $3.20 for 3 or about $1.06 each
- Domino Sugar: $0.30 off one (8/17 RP) = $1.10 each
- Homelife facial tissue: Many Jewel stores have had blue coupon dispensers in the paper aisles with $1.00 off coupons for Homelife paper products. If you can find these coupons, the tissue will be 40 cents a box after coupon.
- Palmolive dish soap: $0.40 off one (printable = $1.00 after coupon
- Wet Ones wipes: $0.75 off one (printable) = $0.65 each
- Campbell's Select Harvest Soup: $.50 off 2 or $1.00 off 4 (9/14 SS and 8/17 SS) = $1.15 each
4/$10 - $3 instant savings = 4/$7 or $1.75 each
- SuperPretzel: $0.75 off one (8/24 RP) = $0.75 each
- Nestle refrigerated cookie dough: $1.00 off 1 (printable) = $0.75 each
- Mott's apple juice: $1.00 off 2 (8/10 SS) = $2.50 for 2, or $1.25 each. Remember to check your Avenu before going to the store, as many people have an additional $1.00 off Mott's Avenu savings. If so, that would make the juice just 25 cents a bottle!
- Homelife 2-pack Mighty Absorbent paper towels: Many Jewel stores have had blue coupon dispensers in the paper aisles with $1.00 off coupons for Homelife paper products. If you can find these coupons, the 2-pack of towels will be $0.75 after coupon.
- Kozy Shack Pudding: $1.00 off 2 (8/10 SS) or 50 cents off one (printable)= $2.50 for 2 or $1.25 each
- Colgate toothpaste (many varieties): $1.50 off 1 (printable = $0.25 each after coupon
- Colgate Toothbrush 360, Whitening, or Navigator: $1.00 off 1 (printable = $0.75 each after coupon
3/$10 - $3 instant savings = $7 or $2.34 each
- Hillshire Farms lunch meat: $0.55 off one or $1.00 off 2 (8/24 RP) = $1.79 each (with first coupon listed)
- V8 Splash juice: $1.00 off 2 (8/17 SS) = $3.68 for two, or $1.84 each
- Hershey's Chocolate Syrup: $1.00 off 2 (8/24 SS) = $3.68 for two, or $1.84 each
- Eggo waffles: $0.55 off one or $1.00 off 2 (9/21 RP) = $1.79 each (with first coupon listed)
- Angel Soft 6 double rolls toilet paper: $0.50 off one or $1.00 off 2 (8/17 RP) = $1.25 each
- Aleve: $1.00 off one (7/27 RP or printable = $1.34 each
- Nivea for Men Body Wash: $1.00 off one (7/20 SS) = $1.34 each
Whew! So... ready for an example of how nice this deal can be?
2 Zatarains Rice - 65 cents
1 Ronzoni Bistro dinner - 40 cents
2 Mott's apple juice - 50 cents
1 Daisy sour cream - 20 cents
1 Softsoap - 35 cents
1 Zone Perfect Bar (overage) - -30 cents
1 Atkins Advantage Bar (overage) - -30 cents
$11.50 in items... minus coupons, Avenu, and overage = $1.50!
Remember, mix and match however you like -- there are LOTS of other things in the ad too that I haven't listed as they don't have coupon matchups, but some of them are good prices even without coupons (70 cent 2-liters of Coke come to mind :) This sale runs through Oct. 4.
Many people have emailed me about the Thursday-to-Wednesday Jewel flyer that went out on Sept. 25th. There are a LOT of Catalina and instant-savings deals going. Everyone wants to know... "are these good deals?" If you need those things, sure, they're not too bad... but they're also not terribly terrific (or at least hitting my personal threshold of "cheap enough to mention.") If you like those products and need some, by all means get them. Do your coupon homework and look up the coupons you need at www.coupontom.com or www.hotcouponworld.com (the latter is a more complex coupon lookup, but I noticed coupontom has been offline this weekend, so I'll give you an alternative.) I'd love to hear about your great deals if you make some of these work for you too! This flyer is online at www.jewelosco.com too.
This week's Web freebies:
Del Monte free coupons for: 1 free Del Monte grapefruit bowl and 1 free Del Monte diced tomatoes (sign up and both will be mailed.)
Free Campbell's Select Harvest Soup - Text "TLC" to 467467 on your cell phone (the coupon comes in the mail - they will send you one reply text to verify your address, so if you pay per text, you will need to send one, get one, and reply to that -- decide if 1 free soup is worth it!) Shoptext.com is the company handling the promotion - they're reputable and do numerous phone-text coupons for various companies.